Tuesday 30 March 2010


Something very odd happened on Friday and I'm still coming to terms with it - I had a day off and Melanie even arranged for me to have a back massage at home in total peace and quiet!.
Yesterday was pretty calm too as I did a quick portrait shoot in the studio of my friend Jeremy for his new website then spent the rest of the day working on a short film clip for one of my regular clients.
Video is becoming really popular at the moment and this is being driven by a demand for video content on websites. Google pushes any site it finds with video content on further up the raking so web optimisation companies are recommending that website owners have as much video content as possible. I'm getting asked to produce these clips more and more so it's an interesting additional service for me to provide and it's fun to work on too.
I've been doing some video editing this morning and this afternoon I've got a meeting with Pete at Goldmoor TV to discuss some more advanced work that he's going to do for me. Video editing software looks really complicated and makes Photoshop look like a walk in the park so I'm sticking to the basics and letting Pete sort out the tricky stuff.
My new Sony Vaio laptop has worked out really well. Windows 7 is great and the new i3 processor blasts through Lightroom like there's no tomorrow. The laptop itself looks very much like a Macbook and the Windows 7 OS looks pretty Mac like too.
Tonight I'm going to go through all my CD's again and make sure they're all ripped to MP3 and into Windows Media Player. There's football on tonight (Championhs League albeit Man Utd) but Melanie hogs the TV and watches all the soaps so it'll give me an excuse to put my headphones on and ignore Emmerdale and all that crap for a while.
I've got an interesting commision thats just come in for next week from an architect - it's a new library in London and the main emphasis on the shoot is the external facades. I'm going to shoot some of this on the 5x4 view camera as this gives such top quality results and I've got full movements on the camera to control perspective and focus depth. It's always great to dust down the 5x4 but I really only use it for externals because colour balancing artifical light indoors (except Tungsten) is pretty tricky and it's far easier with the digital kit.
I've posted the shot I took yesterday of Jeremy using basic "Hollywood" style lighting where the light is overhead and you get the classic butterfly shadow under the nose.

No comments: