Friday 15 January 2010


It's a case of best laid plans of mice and men again - I didn't get to the studio to start filming my viral ad but will definitely get there on Monday and make a start.

Instead I telephoned some of my clients for a quick catch up and did some research into viral video clips and podcasts on the Internet. Then I popped out to our printer in Milton Keynes with the final artwork on CD for our new flick book that I'm going to use to promote the studio to local companies.

The shoot for the TV company has been postponed until next Tuesday or Wednesday as we can't get all the girls together in one place at the same time until then. So in short I've had a pretty easy day although I'd prefer to be busy and rushing around the place.

I am more determined than ever to shoot more film this year. I've still got some 5x4 sheets of Tungsten balanced slide film ready to go in the studio and I've also got a stash of black and white 120 roll film that I'm going to use with the large format camera via a 120 back. I love my Canon digital kit but I'm being drawn back to film more and more. I think it's the fact that with digital in the studio there's always the temptation to shoot too many frames and go for quantity over quality in terms of posing the model properly and with real consideration.

I need to find a model who's happy to work for 3-4 hours and only shoot 20 odd frames rather than 300 and in these days of instant results that could prove tricky.

Before Christmas I was working a lot with old Tungsten hotlights because I like the old fashioned look I can get with these lights. It reminds me of the old Hollywood stills from films in the 50's and 60's. I did however have a near miss as one of my 800W Redheads blew it's lamp to bits and hot glass spat out all over the studio floor taking the paint off where the chips landed!!!. Luckily I was the only one in the studio at the time. Today I managed to track down some scrims for the Redheads - these are basically metal screens which fit in front of the lamp and catch any glass should the lamps blow up - another good job done.

I'm hoping to get to the studio over the weekend to play around with some still life ideas I've had but the chances of that happening are probably fairly small!.

I've attached another picture of Amy from our shoot on Wednesday.

No comments: