Thursday 10 December 2009


After a fun week working in the studio it was good to get back out on the road again and I was lucky to photograph two really smart projects today. The first shoot was at 9.00am in Beaconsfield at the very smart Smallbones of Devizes kitchen showroom. This was a lovely showroom to photograph and the whole place just oozed quality. Ramond Blanc is doing a cookery demo there tonight so that gives you an idea as to how smart the place is!.
Then I photographed an office housed in a refurbished barn in Wheatley near Oxford. This was very smart too and made for some good interior photography.
With the old Canon EOS 5D I used to spend a lot of time with the custom white balance feature making sure I got an accurate colour profile for each shoot. This is done by either using an Expodisc which gives a gray image when fitted in front of the lens to enable the camera to produce a clean neutral white balance or by taking a picture of a white or grey surface in the space and using this to create a custom white balance. The new 5D MK2 though has such a good auto white balance that I often leave the camera to sort out the colour cast. If the interior is purely lit with Fluorescent or is a mix of light sources I still use the custom feature and use the Expodisc but if there's a fair amount of daylight with some Fluorescent or Tungsten lighting auto works pretty well.
With any digital camera you should always shoot in RAW mode anyway as this means the white balance can be altered post shoot.
A new job came in to day from one of our best clients to shoot a product in the studio so hopefully they can deliver it tomorrow and I can crack on and get that done.
Next week I've got my radio show on BBC Three Counties on Monday and hopefully I'll have the go ahead to shoot the Orchard Theatre in London on Tuesday. Then were waiting to schedule in the leisure centre project in Warrington so if that happens that will make for a good week.
I've attached a picture of Zoe from Tuesdays shoot - she'd just so much fun to photograph!.

No comments: