Monday 26 April 2010


One of my best clients is a manufacturer of high quality furniture and today Katie and Tom came along to my studio with one of their high tech office chairs. We photographed the chair from every angle with a view to putting together a video clip made up of stills (a bit like the old fashioned flick books) to show all the movements and functions available. These chairs can be altered a lot via several different movements and the video is a trial run which will be rolled out across the range and used worldwide if we get the nod from the HQ in Sweden. We did think about shooting full HD movie footage but this doesn't allow for any error and the chair would need to be operated very smoothly and in a slick way (difficult when you're being filmed) so we decided a series of stills would be the way to go. It was a challenge but I'm pleased with the stills we got so the video should come together well. I bounced a flash head off the back wall and used a large softbox to camera right as fill for the wide shots (as per the one attached to today's blog) and I used a ringflash with a second flash bounced off the rear wall for the close up detail shots to provide a flat shadow free illumination.

I did have two of my other clients coming in for a portrait session later today but one of the guys has come down with this nasty sickness bug so that's been postponed.

I'm finishing off the mountain of post processing work tomorrow then I'm scheduled to have a shoot in London on Wednesday at a community centre but we're still waiting for the final permission from the council to go ahead.

We had a new commission in today to photograph a store called Ozwald on Saville Row in London in mid May and I'm looking forward to that already.

I also offered to photograph a charity fashion show in Newport Pagnell on May 6th in aid of a charity shop in Winslow and I'm also giving away a free studio shoot with prints (ie no hidden costs unlike some so called freebies!) as a prize in the auction.

I've attached a shot of the office chair from the shoot today and will post a link the the video when it's done.


No comments: