Friday 23 April 2010


It's been a mega busy week and as a result I've missed a few blog entries - apologies to anyone out there who likes to keep up to date with the world of Redshift!!. Joking apart I like to keep the blog well up to date so I don't like missing too many entries.




I had a full day in the studio on Tuesday with two very contrasting jobs. Firstly an artist came in with a series of paintings she's done of teddy bears which I photographed for her for use on her website and in a brochure. We photographed them in their frames and the only problem I had to overcome was reflections in the glass. I bounced a single flash head off the rear wall of the studio and had a large black screen resting on my back which effectively reflected back in the glass removing any bright unwanted reflections. The results were very good and Louise the artist went home happy!.




Then in the afternoon I photographed some very high tech lighting bollards (the type of thing you see around footpaths and car parks). I had to photograph these with the light on and off which complicated things a bit. I lit these very differently to the paintings and used a large softbox mounted very close to the bollard with a black velvet backdrop and a large silver panel on the opposite side to the softbox. I then used a second reflector above the bollard to light the detail on the top. The pictures looked good and gave the impression the client wanted when we met to discuss the brief.




On Wednesday I was back in London again - this time photographing the new Little Venice Sports Centre. This is a beautiful modern building designed with very environmentally friendly materials and my brief was to photograph the interior through-out the building. I really love this kind of building with lots of unfinished concrete surfaces, natural pine cladding and loads of daylight. I enjoyed the shoot very much and I did try to upload a blog entry from site but my laptop wasn't having any of it.




Thursday began with an early morning shoot in Wrotham near Maidstone (7.30am early!) and I was back working for one of my regular clients who manufacture beautiful office furniture. We photographed and video'd the installation of their furniture in a small office which will be used as an online case study. We're going back again in a few weeks to photograph the finished office interior with people working in the space and to complete a couple of video interviews. That took us all morning then we drove into London to photograph a showroom very close to Oxford Street. The drive from Maidstone to Oxford Street took nearly two hours and it's only 20 miles...


I've been working from 7.00am this morning as I'm well behind with my post processing work and I needed to start early as I've got a St George's Day lunch in Milton Keynes which is part of a local business networking event.

I've posted a picture from a product shoot in the studio last week.






No comments: