Friday 13 August 2010


I had a shoot in Great Yarmouth yesterday at the Time and Tide museum which turned out to be a very interesting place and I'd recommend a visit if you're ever in the Great Yarmouth area. The museum has been lit with new LED spotlights which are very efficient and also last for years and the lighting was very good and the exhibits looked great. I then stayed over in a hotel in Great Yarmouth as I had another museum to shoot today in Norwich (I was commissioned by the same client - the guys who supplied the LED spotlights) and this was an interesting job too. The castle at Norwich is very impressive and stands high up on a hill overlooking the town and the museum is located inside the castle. There were some beautiful paintings on display and the cafe was good too so again well worth a visit.

I'm in for a busy weekend as I've got a whole stack of post shoot processing to do from this week and I've also got some lamps to photograph for a catalogue for Venture Lamps - a major lamp manufacturer. Lamps (light bulbs to most of us!) are a real challenge to photograph and I need to photograph these on a blue background so I'll make up a blue curve from some card and mount the lamps on some wire about 3 feet in front of the card to ensure the lamps stand out from the backdrop. Lighting will be tricky as the client doesn't like to see softboxes etc reflected in the glass so I will probably use my ringflash or some flash bounced off the back wall of the studio.

Next week is pretty full too so I need to keep up to date otherwise I start to feel under too much pressure - I hate getting too far behind and I always aim to issue pictures to my clients within 5 days max from the date of the shoot. As I started shooting video too I've had to get used to that particular process taking longer as I have to outsource the editing at the moment and I do find that loss of control to be very frustrating.

I've posted a shot from the model room at Land Securities new HQ just opposite Trafalgar Square. This shoot was also for a lighting manufacturer and the downlights in the room are 23W LED fittings with adjustable reflectors for added control of the light output. The lighting is very crisp and clean and the colour rendering is excellent. Within the next few years all lighting is going to be provided by LED's - the future is here!.



No comments: