Friday 10 September 2010




It's been almost two weeks since my last post which is unusual for me as I love blogging but I have been really busy and the time has slipped past really quickly.


Since the last entry I've taken pictures at a large staff interaction day at Philips Electronics down in Guildford, photographed two more BUPA homes, taken some shots in the new extension at the NHBC building in Milton Keynes, photographed a model called Kimberley for her portfolio and finished off shooting a video for a manufacturing company here in Milton Keynes. In fact It's been really good to work locally for a change as I spend hours driving up and down the country between jobs (although I catch the train whenever possible) and I must admit I don't feel as tired at the end of the week as I usually do.


Next week I'm doing a shoot in Manchester at a newly refurbished hospital ward (that's probably going to be a thing of the past under the new Government!) and I'm back on the Beeb for my monthly radio slot on BBC Three Counties Radio.


I've had some new enquiries in this week too so we're still doing well at the moment although you never know how long that's going to last!.


I'm judging the annual photography competition at Mursley Show again this year (surprisingly they keep asking me back!) and although I actually hate passing any kind of judgement on peoples' photographs I do enjoy the day and there are usually a few really good entries. My opinion on photography is that a good picture is one that you like - or even better that other people like - so the old camera club competitions really don't appeal to me. All the traditional rules regarding composition and such do have a place but the bottom line for me is that pictures should make you feel good when you look at them!. I don't get this compulsive urge that many photographers have to photograph people looking miserable or folks living in terrible places looking down and out. Real life is bad enough without continually taking pictures of the crappy bits of our world.


I love recommending other photographers in the blog and today I want to give a big up to a photographer called Edward Burtynsky who takes photographs of industrial landscapes but makes them look beautiful - a very real art form in my opinion.This guy is one of my all time favourite photographers and I draw a lot of inspiration from looking at his work - here's the link to his site http://www.edwardburtynsky.com/index.html


I've attached a picture from the model portfolio shoot I did with Kimberley last weekend.






No comments: