Monday 29 November 2010




Last week flew by helped along by the number of shoots I managed to squeeze in.
On Monday I was lucky to photograph the beautiful Angel Building in Islington (London) which was a really enjoyable shoot. I knew as soon as I saw the interior that I was going to enjoy the afternoon as I love modern minimalist architecture (sorry Prince Charles!). The interior had lots of bare unpainted concrete surfaces which I just love and the marketing suite on the top floor was fitted out with beautiful furniture and was totally clutter free. I could quite easily live on that top floor - it would make a superb super apartment and the views over London from the outside paved area were just stunning. I've attached a couple of shots to today's blog.
On Tuesday I photographed the launch of a very clever new lighting system that has been fitted into the science labs at Epsom and Ewell school by Philips Lighting. I have been back to the school a number of times during the year to photograph "before and after" shots and now the classrooms are in full use. The lighting has four settings which change the colour temperature and brightness of the lighting to keep the pupils alert through-out the day. The lighting can be set to a bright cool light for high energy through to dimmed down warm light for relaxation and wind down. Philips fitted the lighting system free of charge as part of their School Vision lighting program!.
Wednesday saw me lifted up in a hoist outside a company HQ in Aylesbury to enable me to get a shot of the front of the building including the solar panels on the roof. I hand-held my 24mm Tilt and Shift lens to get a nice perspective on the picture without getting the converging vertical lines caused by tilting the camera downwards. I then headed off to Oxford for another meeting about a new project so a busy day once again.
I drove up to Liverpool on Thursday for a dusk and night shoot of the new Unison HQ building which has been beautifully lit with some colour change LED lighting. It was bloody freezing but well worth it as I got some lovely shots with car headlight trails in the foreground as per the client's brief. Dusk shoots are always manic as you have to hang around for ages for the light level to drop and the lovely deep blue sky to appear (some photographers call this the golden hour - half an hour either side of dusk) but I always find that you actually get around 45 minutes of perfect light so it becomes a mad dash around the building in order to get in all the angles needed to give a rounded set of pictures.
I had a night in a Travel Lodge in Sheffield that evening (basic but very clean and the bar stocked good red wine!) then I had a shoot at Marks and Spencer Sheffield on Friday.
All in all a good week - I just need to post shoot process all the pictures now - probably another three days work(unfortunately we don't invoice for this!!).
This week is a bit quieter with a shoot in London tomorrow and a meeting with my PR lady Maureen. Then some product photography on Wednesday and so far that's it. At least I'll have a chance to catch up with the post shoot work.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Really like your photos. I work for the architect (AHMM) who designed the building, so great to hear you like it! Who were you shooting the pics for?

Unknown said...

Hi Steve
Thanks for the feedback re the pictures - I'm glad you liked them. I loved the building and really enjoyed taking the pictures.
I was commissioned by Zumtobel Lighting. I do a lot of work here in the UK for them.
If you'd like to see some more of my work please just let me know - I'd love to work with you guys and would be delighted to pop in with my portfolio.
Best regards
Dave