Tuesday 23 November 2010

Hi Everyone - sorry about the long delay again in posting but Manflu turned out to be a full on proper Flu bug and I've been layed up for a few days. I tried to work through it but the tiredness got the better or me so I ended up on the sofa watching daytime TV - a good incentive to get better if ever there was one!.

The last job I did before succumbing to the bug was a large shoot up in Manchester where I spent three days working with my mate Katie (marketing exec) from Kinnarps - one of my best clients!. We were shooting both stills and video of new furniture being installed in a large new primary school and then moved across the road to a recently completed school with kids in situ. This is becoming an increasingly common way of working for me where we shoot both still and video although it does add to the stress level as I find it hard to change from video mode to stills mode (in terms of the technique). I've also got the added challenge of recording sound when we do interviews etc which is far more difficult than you'd imagine. I'm getting the hang of working in this way and my EOS 5DMK2 camera shoots beautiful video as well as stills so the kit is working perfectly. I think I'm going to invest in a purpose made HD video camera though for the interviews as I think the sound would be easier to set up and record. The 5D MK2 camera only has a mini jack input for a microphone as I think sound recording is an afterthought - maybe Canon will improve this on the Mk3!.

This week I've been back with a bang - I feel better than I have for months and I think the rest has done me good. Yesterday I did a quick shoot in Stevenage for BUPA then had a meeting with a new client to discuss some ideas for their new company brochure. After that I caught the train to London and photographed the new Angel building in Islington. This is a stunning piece of architecture and I will post some pictures in the next blog entry.

Tonight I'm photographing an event in Epsom and tomorrow I've got a small shoot in Ayelsbury followed by a meeting in Oxford. Then to complete a busy week I have an external night shoot in Liverpool on Thursday and a shoot at Marks and Spencer in Sheffield on Friday - so all in all a pretty good week.

Next week is shaping up to be busy too so November will have been a good month - now I just need to worry about getting some work for December and making sure we can pay the VAT bill that's about to arrive.

I've attached a picture from a shoot in Derby early last week which was a commission for a lighting manufacturer. I love the linear recessed strip lighting in the walls and ceiling.


No comments: