Thursday 21 April 2011

Wow another two weeks has flown past since my last blog entry - so much for updating the blog twice a week!.
It's a very busy time for me right now and since my last entry I've been to Southern Ireland, Belfast, Bristol, Glasgow and....Letchworth.
Back on the 6th April I did a few extra shots for Perry Scott Nash (a training and CDM consultancy) who I've been working with on the concept and photography for a new brochure.This shoot was basically to tie up a few loose ends and included a couple of portraits and a couple of people shots that will be cut out and pasted into a shot of a building site to simulate the handing over of a CDM manual to a client.
Then we had a long weekend break in Ireland which came as a welcome break for us all as we have had very little time off as a family over the past few years. Being a self employed photographer is a great life but it does mean that I have to be available to work at all times.If I take a few days off and miss a couple of commissioned jobs that really hurts and I'm always worried that another photographer will step in and I'll lose a client. I know this is a little paranoid and in fact we don't lose clients as we put customer service at the very top of our list of priorities but I guess it's human nature to be protective of our source of income!.
The day after flying home from Ireland I flew back out to Belfast and spent three days working out there for Zumtobel Staff Lighting taking photographs of some very cool projects. The picture below was taken at the Northern Bank in Belfast and shows some beautiful colour changing light panels supplied by Zumtobel that utilise the latest LED colour change technology. The people in Northern Ireland are very warm and friendly and although the trip was hard work it was also great fun.

I spent the following Friday and Monday on post shoot processing and then headed down to Bristol for a shoot at the Airbus factory at Filton for Philips Lighting last Tuesday. Philips have supplied some street lighting around the site and the product utilises LED technology instead of a traditional discharge lamp and the lit effect was really impressive.
Yesterday I caught the train to Glasgow for a shoot at the House of Fraser store on Buchanan street. I was lucky to get a cheap upgrade to first class on the Virgin trian and the whole experience was very pleasant. Usually I travel standard class and often end up standing for much of the journey but first class on Virgin is fab and I was given lovely food and a few glasses of red wine on the way home!.
Today I photographed a recently re-lit factory in Letchworth (I did the "before" shots a couple of months ago) where Llumarlite (my client) has gone in and supplied and installed highly energy efficient lighting fittings that work with daylight sensors and movement detectors to save energy and at the same time provide better lighting levels.
I'm very busy right now and May and June are filling up fast so at the moment I'm working my socks off to keep up with everything whilst making sure that my post shoot processing work is still of the highest standard. It's tempting to cut corners with the post shoot processing but it really doesn't pay as the quality of a shoot can be lost in the post production stage very easily.


Perry Scott Nash brochure image - Stand Out from the Crowd!



No comments: